Table of Contents
What happens if you breathe in mold for too long?
For people sensitive to mold, inhaling or touching mold spores can cause allergic reactions, including sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash. People with serious mold allergies may have more severe reactions, including shortness of breath.
How long can you breathe in mold before you get sick?
These symptoms usually first appear 2 to 9 hours after exposure and last for 1 to 3 days. Other affected persons have progressive shortness of breath and cough, as well as weight loss. Work-relatedness may only become apparent over long holidays if symptoms resolve and then recur on return to work.
Can you recover from mold exposure?
Do I need to get medical treatment? In many cases, exposure to toxic mold doesn't require medical treatment. If you experience cold-like symptoms after exposure to potentially toxic mold, these symptoms will likely fade on their own with no long-term effects once you remove yourself from the environment with the mold.
What happens when you breathe in spores?
Diseases associated with inhalation of fungal spores include toxic pneumonitis, hypersensitivity pneumonitis, tremors, chronic fatigue syndrome, kidney failure, and cancer.
Is a small amount of mold harmful?
Exposure to small amounts likely won't cause any harm in healthy individuals. Also, mycotoxins only form when mold has reached maturity. By that time, you've probably thrown the food away. That said, you should avoid moldy foods as much as possible, especially if you have a respiratory allergy to mold.