Table of Contents
Is it safe to touch a foxglove?
Take care when handling this plant. All parts of it can cause allergic reactions, but the berries are particularly poisonous. The plant contains minute needle-shaped crystals which can severely irritate the skin. Consumption can lead to throat swelling, breathing difficulties and stomach irritation.
How do you get poisoned by foxglove?
Foxglove poisoning most often occurs from sucking the flowers or eating the seeds, stems, or leaves of the foxglove plant. Poisoning may also occur from taking more than the recommended amounts of medicines made from foxglove.
Are dried foxglove leaves poisonous?
The roots, sap, flowers, seeds, pollen, and leaves of foxglove are all poisonous – even when dried.
Are foxgloves safe around children?
Foxgloves (Digitalis purpurea)
Children have even been poisoned by drinking the vase water from flower arrangements containing foxgloves. The tall spikes of colorful, tubular blooms are very attractive, so don't grow them with young ones around. Only well-advised adults should handle the plants or pick their flowers.